Thursday, July 2, 2009

How did a big pizza stain get 6 foot high on my living room wall?

Welcome to Tuesday Together in the Word (two days late). We are a group of ladies reading through the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs together in 2009, and sharing what we are learning along the way. Visit DeeDee to read other "Tuesday Together in the Word" posts.

Last week, the boys went to the University of Alabama Basketball camp. Steve and the boys stayed at my niece’s Tuscaloosa condo during the camp. This meant that I had several nights home alone. One thing that was nice about the testosterone break was that I was able to clean my house on Monday and it was still clean on Wednesday! It was a great feeling walking in the door from work on Wednesday and everything still being clean. Everything was exactly how I left it. There were no basketballs in my living room, no wrappers on the end tables, no socks scattered all over the floor from sock wars, no half empty cups in their rooms and no pizza stains on the wall over my fireplace (I still have not gotten to the bottom of how that happened). I breathed in all the glory of a clean house and then the thought occurred to me that in just six years I can come home EVERYDAY to a clean house when the boys graduate from high school. Then it hit me- in just six years there will be no basketballs in my living room, no wrappers on the end tables, no sock wars, no half empty cups and no mystery stains. All of the sudden, a clean house did not seem so great. All of the sudden, I was very sad.

During this week, I have thought a lot about our previous week’s Tuesday Together in the Word verse:

Proverbs 14:1
The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her hands.

One of my many flaws is that I just can’t seem to disconnect myself from my house. Meaning, I have the hardest time relaxing if things are all out of place in my house. I find it near impossible to sit down, relax and just ignore a messy house. The verse from Proverbs has caused me to ask myself if wanting a perfectly clean house is building up my house or tearing it down? Is it promoting peace and disrupting peace in my home? Obviously, expecting a constantly clean house while living in a house with three guys does not produce a lot of peace.


Since my Globetrotters have returned from camp, I am really trying to make an effort to choose my battles and let the little things go. I am trying to remind myself that my time with them is limited and I need to focus on much more important things. For instance, I resisted the urge to post a picture of the big pizza stain that mysteriously appeared 6 foot high on my wall and instead posted this picture that I believe is much more important:



Blessings to you,

Kelly
Please join us this week as we read Psalms 62-67, Proverbs 15 and Matthew 1-3.

5 comments:

Tanya said...

I love your post. I am very similar to you in that I can not rest until Madilyn Grace's playroom is all cleaned up. I stress when I see all of the toys laying around the floor in the playroom and in the livingroom. But, isn't that what the playroom is for? I should just be happy that I have a family to clean up after. We will miss those days when they are gone.

I love the picture of the boys. I know they had a blast. Roll Tide!!

Tricia said...

A great post Kelly and I can totally relate... I too have a very hard time functioning if my house is out of order. I am very organized and like for things to be clean and orderly... I have recently started giving the boys some chores with has helped them take responsibility for their stuff, and takes some of the work off of me as they help me...

I do often think about what it will be like when they are grown up and out on their own, and it is then that I stop and pray, thanking the Lord that I do have a family to take care of and clean up after...

Blessings!

DeeDee said...

good post Kelly...
they do grow up fast and when they are out of your house, and it would be really easy to keep it all clean - You realize that it does not matter as much anymore LOL

But trust me, I completely understand... from both sides.

love and blessings,
DeeDee

Susanz Place said...

fun blog - so glad i bumped into it - i'll be back to visit

always remember to
keep chasing righteousness!!!

Michelle C. said...

Oh you and me both sister. Somehow it doesn't bother Lee when he retreats to his man-room (aka the basement) and watches TV for 3 hours completely surrounded by a mess. Why are we the opposite? I am trying to learn to be still a little more. This has been a great summer.