Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Are you changed?

I recently chatted with a non-Christian who said that Christians did not really lead changed lives. He said that, while it may seem like their lives are changed on the surface, this is just a mask put on at church. His comments sadden me for many reasons. One reason is the realization that, when we live defeated lives, there are lost souls who are watching and interpreting that as Jesus being powerless to change lives.

Jesus does change lives. I have seen it with my own eyes. We had many walking testimonies on Sunday morning during our cardboard testimony time. If you have not already seen it, please watch the following video from the cardboard testimonies on Sunday. I have watched this video from our church service about 10 times, and every time I see it I cry. I just can’t help it. They are not tears of sadness, but tears of happiness. I am happy and so blessed to be a child of a God who changes lives, answers prayers, and enables us to overcome.

This week our ‘Tuesday Together in the Word’ reading from 1 Peter 1 really grabbed my attention. Over the next week we will continue reading through 1st and 2nd Peter. Please join us as we read the words from a life that was truly changed.

Peter’s cardboard testimony might look something like this:

Side 1: Denied Christ 3 Times.
Side 2: Redeemed with the precious blood of Christ 1 Peter 1:19a.

He denied Christ three times, but after Christ’s death on the cross we truly see a changed person. Once he was afraid to stand up for Christ out of fear, but it is a totally different man who wrote the following words:

1 Peter 1:6-7 ‘ In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while if need be, you have been grieved by various trials that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ’.

John MacArthur wrote in his bible commentary that, according to tradition, Peter had to watch as his wife was crucified, but he encouraged her with the words, “Remember the Lord.” When it came time for him to be crucified, he reportedly pled that he was not worthy to be crucified like his Lord, but rather should be crucified upside down, which tradition says he was.

From denying Jesus to totally devoted to Jesus, Peter was transformed.

Jesus does change lives.

Please allow your life to be a walking testimony of the freedom that there is in Christ, and show a dying world that He does change lives.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Hey Kelly
What a wonderful post... I love that you thought about what Peter's cardboard would say! And I have never really thought about the fact that the same Peter who denied Christ 3 times is the same one who wrote these letters... I knew it, but never allowed the truth of that and what a change it was sink down into my heart, I am so glad you pointed that out!

Blessings!