Friday, October 3, 2008

My Husband's Driving

Occasionally, I do something while my husband is driving that really gets on his nerves. I did it again yesterday. I don’t mean to. It is a reaction. It is a reaction to thinking we are about to suffer serious bodily harm.

I ....GASP.

The noise comes out of my mouth before I can contain it. Usually at the same exact time, I throw my left arm out like I am trying to hold back an imaginary child that is riding between us.

One reason that my gasping gets on his nerves is because he does not see any threat of danger. To me this is a very strange phenomenon. How can two people riding it the same car see the same event so differently. How can I think that the car that pulled out in front of us may be my ticket to go see Jesus and it does not concern him at all?

A Gary Smalley marriage video answered that question for me. The answer is depth perception. Men and women have different depth perception. According to Gary Smalley, women can’t judge distance and space as well as men. Undoubtedly, we are really not inches from the car in front of us; it just looks that way to me.

I don’t know why God would have given men and women varying degrees of depth perceptions (please comment to this blog if you have any ideas). I do know that there is one thing that the Lord wants both men and women to be able to correctly judge. That is his love:

Ephesians 3:16-19
I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love may have power together with all the saints to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

I have heard this verse many many times. But Monday when I was reading Ephesians 3, it struck me for the first time that he wants us to be able to measure the love he has for us. To measure something, you have to really look at it. That is what the Lord wants us to do with him. He wants us to really examine and know Him and his character.

Are you having depth perception problems in realizing the great love of God? Some days, we tend to look at our circumstances to gage God’s love for us. I know that in my life when I have looked at circumstances to measure God’s love for me, I have greatly underestimated His love and at times doubted his love. We would all have a much better grasp on understanding His love if we stop trying to measure the things around us and start measuring Him.

Kelly

1 comment:

DeeDee said...

I do the same thing, Kelly.........
LOL, I knew I had read something about the differences in our perception but could not remember where...

Good post.

Glad you have joined us in the blogging world.

Blessings,
DeeDee