Friday, October 10, 2008

Will You Smell Chili for Eternity?

Philippians 3:20-21: For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ ; who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He had even to subject all things to Himself.

While cooking chili last weekend, one of my children came into the kitchen and commented on how good the chili smelled. I agreed with him; nothing smells better on a cool fall day than chili. This smell led him to an interesting question, “Mom, what do you think Heaven will smell like?” I did not know what to say. I had never thought about the smell of Heaven or if we will have a sense of smell in Heaven. I told him that I thought it might smell fresh; fresh like after it rains. He asked if I thought it would smell like chili. I explained to him that I don’t think Heaven would smell like chili since a lot of people don’t like chili. If you were not a fan of chili, you would not want to spend eternity smelling it. He said that several years ago in children’s choir they talked about Heaven being so wonderful and so much more than you could ever imagine that it would contain new colors that you had never seen before. He reasoned that if our eyes would see new colors then he could smell chili in Heaven. I honestly don’t know. What is your opinion?


I did what I always do when I am faced with a question that I don’t know the answer and can’t find it in the Bible- I goggled it. Obviously, you get some pretty strange matches for a Google search on “Will we smell in heaven?”. You have to examine your sources carefully. Luckily, I came upon a match to my search that contained an excerpt from Randy Alcorn’s book Heaven. Here is Randy Alcorn’s opinion:


God designed us with five senses. They’re part of what makes us human. Our resurrection bodies will surely have these senses. I expect they will increase in their power and sensitivity. We’ll stand on the New Earth and see it, feel it, smell it, taste its fruits and hear its sounds. Not figuratively. Literally. We know this because we’re promised resurrection bodies like Christ’s. He saw and heard and felt and, as he cooked and ate fish, he presumably smelled and tasted it. We will too.

I am thankful for a child that helped me to stop today and reflect on the “realness” of Heaven. What’s your opinion? What are your favorite smells that you hope to smell in heaven?


Kelly

4 comments:

Just Me'n Mine said...

Hey Kelly!

Even though my own son is only one year younger than yours, and less than a year away from teenager, it still blows my mind that yours is one.

I am so excited to find your blog! Thanks for finding me too!

Wow! Our children certainly lead us to the amazing don't they? Personally, I love the smell of chili. And if it is served at "the marriage feast of the Lamb," which we read about in the book of The Revelation, while it won't be what I have imagined, it will be fine by me. You know it will be some good chili!

With it being Saturday, I am picturing you and Stevie and the boys in your Crimson clothes with a large bowl of chili....uhhh, nevermind, Kurt just called me and reminded me that Alabama has a 'BYE. So, I'll just picture that for next week.

Leisl

Darlene said...

Hey Girl...welcome to blog world! I just found you on Dee Dee's blog. I didn't know you had joined us in blog world.

I don't know what Heaven will smell like...but, I do hope it involves chocolate! I do like chilie and reading this makes me want to go cook some. LOL

Have a fabulous weekend...I will be back to read the older post soon.
Darlene

DeeDee said...

hummmm.... some of those children's questions keep us on our toes huh?

sure makes me want to make a pot of chili.

Good post Kelly!
:)
~dd

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your blog Kelly! Any thoughts of leading a S.S. class again? :) Great picture of your family, by the way. I hope the smells of Heaven include fresh, clean newborn babies :) Nothing sweeter in my opinion!
Lara