Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Don't Leave Jesus Behind

I am excited to be joining in on the first “Tuesday Together in the Word.” We are a group of ladies reading through the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs together in 2009, and sharing what we are learning along the way. Visit DeeDee to read other "Tuesday Together in the Word" posts.

As I read through the first few chapters of Luke this week, one event in Luke 2 caused me to think about an event that happened to me that I would just as soon forget:

When Stephen was in Kindergarten and Joshua was in Preschool, I was having one of those afternoons when I did not know how I was going to be able to get everything done. I left work and picked up the boys from school at 3:00. I had 1 ½ hours to go back to the school to do a report that “had to be done” for a PTA meeting, I needed to deliver something to the church, and I had to get 75 baby shower invitations to the post office before closing. Earlier, I had talked to Steve and he was on his way home from his classes. I quickly went into list-making mode and mapped out my plan of action. I would drop the boys off at home with Steve, go back to the school, head to the church and pull into the post office with time to spare before the mail was picked up.

I put my plan into action. I arrived home, unlocked the door for the kids, and quickly got back into my car and headed to the school. I was feeling pretty good as I was driving down the road. Who says you can’t do it all? Then it happened…..

I passed Steve in the car. At first, I happily waved at him and then it hit me. If Steve is in the car that I just passed on the road, then who is at home with my children??!!?? I quickly picked up the cell phone to call home.

Me: ARE YOU OK?

Stephen: I am trying to keep Joshua from calling 911. He thinks we should call and let them know that we were left home alone.

Me: NO, DON’T CALL 911! I will be home in a minute. I am so sorry! I did not realize that Daddy had not gotten home yet.

Stephen: You didn’t notice that his car was not in the driveway?

Me: No, I thought he was already at home. When did you realize that he was not home?

Stephen: The minute you drove off. Joshua tried to chase your car through the neighborhood but he couldn’t catch you.

As I type this seven years later, I still feel horrible about it. I imagine that I will be sharing this story from a nursing home 40 years from now, still feeling bad about it. I was so focused on all the little details that I forgot what was REALLY important.

I realize that you may be wondering what this story has to do with Luke 2? Hang in here with me – there is a point.

In Luke 2:41-50, we read about Mary, Joseph and 12-year old Jesus traveling to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover. As they were returning home, Mary and Joseph realized after a day’s journey that they had left Jesus behind in Jerusalem. They had assumed that he was with their caravan but he had been left behind. They anxiously looked for him for three days. They found him in the temple astonishing all those that were listening to him.

The point of my story is NOT to justify my leaving the boys by saying, “At least I wasn’t like Mary and Joseph who lost the son of God for three days.” The point is to realize the number of times we travel along in life and forget that we have left Jesus behind. Mary and Joseph were headed from the Feast of the Passover but they left behind the True Passover Lamb. We just celebrated Christmas, and Jesus was the focus of this holiday for many but how many of us quickly loss focus after the holiday is over? We tend to get caught up in our daily lives and leave Him behind.

The passing of my father-in-law last week has really opened my eyes to how short this life on Earth really is. Over and over this week, I have been feeling the Lord leading me to focus on the important things and let go of the rest. This is not an easy task for me, especially with my “control freak” tendencies.

I want to have a Jesus-filled year. I don’t want to leave Him out. I don’t want to forget Him because I am too focused on other things. My theme for 2009 is going to be “don’t focus on the trivial and miss what is truly important.” I have spent way too much time in my life focusing on things that really don’t matter.

I am excited to be part of “Tuesday Together in the World.” I look forward to growing together as we learn from the Word and from each other. Please join us in our reading for this coming week. Here is the reading plan:

1/6/08- Proverbs 1
1/7/08- Psalms 3-5
1/8/08- Luke 5
1/9/08- Luke 6
1/10/08- Luke 7
1/11/08- Luke 8
1/12/08- Luke 9

6 comments:

DeeDee said...

Wonderful post Kelly. It is so truy that often we get so busy in life that we leave Jesus behind.

Isn't is so precious how such a familiar passage speaks a new word to us?

Sweet Blessings,
DeeDee

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Great post...and a great reminder."Don't Leave Jesus Behind..." It's so easy to get caught up in the trivial things and miss what's most important. When my mother passed away a couple years ago, it really changed my perspective. The Lord spoke to me and continues to remind me that our time here on this Earth is short. And how do we wish to spend it? What's really important?

Thanks so much for sharing your heart. And for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment...also for reading our family's story. I read a little about your family as well on my visit...and I can relate to being the only girl in a house full of boys. I can also relate to the question, "When did I get old enough to be the parent of a teenager?". My son will be fifteen in a couple weeks, and I still haven't adjusted to the "teenage thing." Anyway, it was nice to meet you. I look forward to more Tuesday visits.

In His Grace,
Kelly Gerken

Laurie Ann said...

I wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog and for your kind words. They encourage me. I enjoyed your visit and hope you'll come again!

I truly enjoyed how God's Word spoke to you this week and love the illustration you gave from your own life. It's so easy to get caught up in the details of the plans that we leave our Savior behind. Putting Christ smack dab in the center of each of my goals for the year is one of my aims. I pray I don't miss the mark! Thanks for this encouraging and timely post.

Tricia said...

Kelly,
That is a wonderful post! I love hearing the things you are learning from the Word, you have such a good way of conveying what you learn.

A great reminder to not leave Jesus behind... I definitely do not want to do that, but I do know that sometimes I get busy focusing on the trivial things that I lose my focus...

We are still praying for your family.

Blessings!

Michelle C. said...

That totally sounds like something I would do. Leave my kids at home alone. What a great lesson to be lerned. Are you SURE you want to be a CPA and not a teacher?

Darlene said...

Great post! You have such a great way with words!!!
I planned to be apart of Tuesday's Together and I am reading along with the plan. Life happens and got so caught up with drama that I forgot it was Tuesday! I am catching up on reading the posts of the ones that participated.
Have a great week!
Darlene