Tuesday, January 27, 2009

On the Run

In the spring, I was driving through Montevallo when the car in front of me swerved to avoid running over something in the middle of the road. I slammed on my brakes to avoid hitting a tiny puppy lying in the middle of busy Hwy 1-19. Another driver scrambled out of his truck and placed the puppy on the side of the road, but the little puppy waddled back into the middle of 1-19 and collapsed in front of my front tire. What would you have done? If you would have placed the puppy in your car and brought her home, my husband would not agree with your answer, but that is exactly what I did.

She was in terrible shape, scraped up and missing the hair on her tail and legs. I took her to my vet, where the receptionist said I was a “hero” for rescuing her and that she would be the best dog because she would be so appreciative for me saving her life. That has not turned out to be the case. She destroys anything in her path. Just last week, she destroyed my blinds and chewed up a bag of 500 BRIGHT orange paint balls. You can only imagine the mess that made. I could go on and on about all the things she has destroyed, but I will spare you the details. Did I mention the fact that she grew from 5 lbs to 80 lbs in just 9 months? Long story short- Steve does not share the receptionist’s view that I am a “hero” for bringing her home.

The destruction is not her worst flaw. The main problem is that she keeps getting out of our fence and running off. I have lost count of the number of times that I have chased her through the neighborhood. One day last week when it was very cold, she escaped while I was getting ready to go to work. I had just gotten out of the shower when I realized she was on the run. On this freezing cold morning, I had to chase her down the street in my robe with wet hair. The more I called the further she ran. Just as I would get close enough to grab her, she would take off again. I called and called her name, but she would not listen. I was so mad. I even received a scrap on my neck trying to tackler her. Finally, I caught her and dragged her back home. As I was pulling her home, I fussed at her the whole time, saying “Is this the thanks I get for saving your life?” and other things that I won’t repeat.

Now let’s contrast that ugly visual with a parable Jesus told in Luke 15:3-7 that I read last week in our weekly reading:


So He told them this parable, saying, “What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture and go after the one which is lost until he finds it?

When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!"

I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.


Notice the tenderness as the Shepherd places the sheep on his shoulders and carries it back home. The Shepherd is not frustrated that he had to go looking for the sheep. He does not focus on the fact that the sheep wandered off or the inconvenience of having to leave the other 99 just to look for the one. The Shepherd is not concerned about the past but is overjoyed that the sheep was found. Instead of anger, there is rejoicing.

He did the same thing for me. When I was lost in my sin and had run away from Him, He lovingly found me, placed me on His shoulders, and carried me home. He did not scold me for straying but rejoiced that I was found. What a great and loving God we serve!

Please join us this week in our Tuesday Together in the Word by sharing a verse that really spoke to you this week. Please post your verse or comment at DeeDee's site. If you did not start reading with us at the beginning of the year, why not start this week. Here is this weeks reading plan:

Tuesday January 27th- Luke 20
Wednesday January 28th- Luke 21
Thursday Janaury 29th- Luke 22
Friday January 30th- Luke 23
Saturday January 31st- Luke 24
Sunday February 1st- Psalms 16 & 17
Monday February 2nd- Proverbs 3

6 comments:

DeeDee said...

that is good Kelly!
I love this statment that you made:

"Notice the tenderness as the Shepherd places the sheep on his shoulders and carries it back home. "
What a beautiful picture! The tenderness of our Savior carrying us home.

Thanks for sharing!
Love and Blessings,
DeeDee

Melissa said...

Once again-I love how the Word speaks to you. You should try to get the boys to chase the dog. The dog loves you!

Tricia said...

Hey Kelly
I just love how you are able to take an everyday situation and relate it to the scriptures and get a life lesson out of it! Thank you for sharing!

Blessings!

Meredith said...

I think you are a hero!! My adventures in dog catching usually involve me getting into my car and driving to the other side of the neighborhood. Maybe we should have named them Sheep-Sheep.

Darlene said...

Great post! I love how you tell the stories and relate it with bible ones!!
Thanks for the encouragement!
Darlene

Tricia said...

I miss your posts Kelly... I am sure you are very busy with tax season though. Can't wait for you to join us again, I love hearing how the Lord speaks to you through everyday stuff!

Blessings!